For silly reasons, I generally avoid raisins, but I saw a recipe for broccoli salad the other day and just HAD to try it. It reminded me of a salad I love at a bar near my house and since my Fresh Fork Market bag was supposed to have broccoli (it didn't, though...weep womp), I figured this would be a good way to use it up. I was also looking for good picnic-y recipes, and this seemed to fit the bill.
|Vegan broccoli salad|
- 3/4 cup vegan mayo (I used Vegenaise)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 head or 2 cups broccoli (approximate)
- 1 cup cashews
- 1 cup raisins
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut up broccoli head into florets and set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk together mayo, vinegar, and sugar.
- Combine broccoli with whisked mayo mixture.
- Stir in cashews and raisins.
- Serve immediately or chill for additional flavor.
The result? A broccoli salad that tasted just like a regular old broccoli salad made with "real" mayo. I loved it. My boyfriend loved it...and I think anyone who likes traditional broccoli salad would like it. I can't wait to make up another batch for an upcoming party and "wow" people with the awesomeness of this vegan dish!