I was all set to make up a batch of the Ruby Radishes I made a few weeks ago...when I remembered that the adorable baby bunny twins living in my back yard ate all of my dill last week. FAIL. But technology is awesome and I was able to quickly find a fairly simple recipe for Braised Radishes from Rachel Ray (I know, I know...I'm embarrassed to be writing about one of her recipes, too) As you might imagine, the original recipe was not vegetarian friendly, and I didn't have a shallot on hand, so I made some minor adjustments.
- 2 bunches radishes, about 1 pound, trimmed of tops and roots
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon butter, cut into bits
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced or half of a red onion
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Place radishes in a skillet with stock, butter bits, shallots, sugar, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil.
- Uncover the pan and reduce heat to medium. Cook radishes 10 to 12 minutes or until soft and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.